January 14, 2011

Blue Hubbard Squash

This lovely little squash graced our countertop for many weeks before it finally graced our dinner plates.  As a squash I had neither seen nor heard of before, it possessed an air of mystery from the start.  When I saw it at the market, I knew it was special.  Blue hubbard. A sophisticated bluish greenish gray unlike any I had seen on a squash before.  When I heard its name, only the “blue” part really stuck with me, and I decided that it must be blue on the inside, too.  I could just imagine all the blue pies and casseroles and risottos.   Of course the rational part of me knew that I was being silly, but a part of me hoped that it would actually be blue inside.   I didn’t bother looking online to find out the truth.  I wanted to be surprised when it finally came time to cook the squash.

So how does one cook a blue hubbard squash?  Much like any other winter squash.  I chose to roast and mash the squash to serve alongside sautéed catalogna rossa greens and dijon-thyme baked chicken breast.
Even though it wasn’t blue inside, the squash was exceptionally good and particularly sweet and creamy.  At half the carbs and calories and 1½ times the potassium and fiber, this mashed winter squash makes an excellent substitute for mashed potatoes.
 
Mashed Blue Hubbard Squash

printable recipe button 2

 

Serves 2.  Recipe can easily be multiplied for larger squash.

12 ounces hubbard squash
grapeseed or olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
3 tablespoons milk
salt
4-5 leaves fresh sage, minced (optional)

Preheat oven to 375°F. 

Cut squash into large pieces.  Scoop out seeds and fibers. (Discard or reserved for another use.)  Brush a thin coat of oil on the cut sides of the squash. 



Bake, cut side down, until squash is soft and can be pierced easily with a fork.  (This took 20 minutes for the squash pictured, but time will vary depending on the size/thickness of the squash.)





When squash is cool enough to handle, use a spoon to scoop out the flesh.




In a saucepan, combine milk and butter over medium heat.  When butter has melted and milk is hot, add squash and mash with a potato masher or fork until desired consistency is reached.  Season with salt.  When squash is heated through, stir in minced sage leaves and serve. 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

any secret tips forgrowing this type of squash? purchased starter plants from wal-Mart, and thought I was getting yellow summer squash. got home and read the label and I now have hubbard squash.Never heard of it, but will give it a go.Thanx!

Elizabeth said...

I wish I could help, but I've never actually grown blue hubbard. I imagine it would be similar to other winter squash and pumpkins. Good luck!

Post a Comment